question regarding policy for patches to out-of-support branches

От Joe Conway
Тема question regarding policy for patches to out-of-support branches
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
I was having a discussion regarding out-of-support branches and effort
to keep them building, but could not for the life of me find any actual
documented policy (although I distinctly remember that we do something...).

I did find fleeting references, for example:

8<-----------------------
commit c705646b751e08d584f6eeb098f1ed002aa7b11c
Author: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
Date:   2022-09-21 13:52:38 -0400

<snip>

     Per project policy, this is a candidate for back-patching into
     out-of-support branches: it suppresses annoying compiler warnings
     but changes no behavior.  Hence, back-patch all the way to 9.2.
8<-----------------------

and on its related thread:

8<-----------------------
However, I think that that would *not* be fit material for
back-patching into out-of-support branches, since our policy
for them is "no behavioral changes".

Is the policy written down somewhere, or is it only project lore? In
either case, what is the actual policy?

Thanks,

--
Joe Conway