Re: Does PostgreSQL check database integrity at startup?

От Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter
Тема Re: Does PostgreSQL check database integrity at startup?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Em 29/12/2017 22:14, Jan Wieck escreveu:

> On Thu, Dec 28, 2017 at 1:26 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net
> <mailto:sfrost@snowman.net>> wrote:
>
>     Greetings Brent,
>
>     * Brent Wood (pcreso@yahoo.com <mailto:pcreso@yahoo.com>) wrote:
>     > A tool to calculate a checksum of sorts based on the table
>     (file) content would provide a better surety of duplication than
>     simply checking file size - like differently vacuumed tables in
>     each copy could have the same content but be different file sizes.
>
>     PG has support for checksums and there are tools out there to validate
>     that the checksum is correct for all pages which have one, but that
>     wouldn't help in this case because the file is zero'd out (and a
>     zero'd
>     out file is actually a valid file in a PG data directory).
>
>     Also, the files on the primary and the replica actually can be
>     different
>     when looked at with a complete-file checksum due to hint bits
>     being set
>     differently (at least, possibly other ways too).  That doesn't
>     make them
>     invalid or incorrect though.
>

> In addition to what Stephen and everyone else said, it is impossible
> to get a valid snapshot of the whole "file" on a running server
> without locking the relation and reading it through the PostgreSQL
> buffer cache. On data files such as heap and index, PostgreSQL does
> extensive write caching. Preventing data loss from write caching is a
> primary purpose of WAL. Write caching in the application (PostgreSQL
> in this case) prevents the OS from actually knowing the correct
> "logical" state of the file at any given point in time. This means
> that even a LVM snapshot will not give you consistent data files of a
> running server, because the not yet written changes (in shared
> buffers) waiting for a checkpoint to force them into OS buffers won't
> be visible from outside PostgreSQL.
>

> Regards, Jan
>

>     such a check to verify that the files backed up during a backup
>     have the
>     same checksum as the files being restored from that backup can be
>     done,
>     and that *is* done in at least some of the PG backup tools already
>     (pgBackRest has an independent manifest that it stores for each backup
>     which contains the checksum of each file as-backed-up, and it verifies
>     that checksum when performing a restore to make sure that the
>     backed up
>     file wasn't corrupted in place, other tools hopefully have similar).
>
>     > I do wonder though - given the order of records in a table
>     (file) is not necessarily identical (or is it?) event this may be
>     problematic. Perhaps a checksum based on the result of a query
>     output ordered by primary key could work?
>
>     The order of records in a *file* should be the same in the heap on the
>     primary as they are on the replica, but that doesn't mean the contents
> [...]

One last question:

There should be a "catalog" that point where tables are stored in
physical files (I think, at least, because at some point PostgreSQL need
to know from where to read the data).

Based on information from this catalog, would I have a tool (perhaps, a
C function) that check that data is really there?

Thanks,

Edson

Сообщение: Re: Does PostgreSQL check database integrity at startup?
Сообщение: Re: Does PostgreSQL check database integrity at startup?