Re: patch: Allow the UUID type to accept non-standard formats

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: patch: Allow the UUID type to accept non-standard formats
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Dawid Kuroczko wrote:
>>   2) The '-' is not the only character that people have used. ClearCase uses
>> '.' and ':' as punctuation.
>
> I would be more in favor of accepting MAC-address style notation AA:BB:CC:DD
> also, in that case, but I think its going too far...  So, I am for sticking with
> dashes and groups of four :)

Well, speaking of MAC addresses, we already accept a finite set of
non-standard MAC address formats, so doing something similar with UUID
should be OK.

I recently figured out that the AA:BB:CC:DD... format for MAC addresses
is not exactly standard either, so sticking with the standard doesn't
always help in practice.

We only accept those MAC address formats that we find in practice,
however, not any combination of digits and delimiters, and I think UUID
should do the same as well.