Re: 8.3 .4 + Vista + MingW + initdb = ACCESS_DENIED

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: 8.3 .4 + Vista + MingW + initdb = ACCESS_DENIED
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Dave Page wrote:

>>> Very few people build their own Postgres on Windows, because it's not
>>> exactly straightforward to do because of all the dependencies.
>>>

>> IMNSHO, it is not acceptable to leave CVS for any significant period in a
>> state where someone can't run "make check" by hand, and you certainly can't
>> assume that no-one will want to do so.
>
> It's not the case that no one can run 'make check' - it's very much
> dependent on the configuration of the user account. Much as it pains
> me to say it, running as Administrator or a member of the
> Administrators group should normally work as you will inherit the
> required privileges.
>
>> I can confirm that commenting out '+ 18' from the last loop of the offending
>> patch allows me to run and test on XP-Pro.
>>
>> What do we actually need to create this object in the global namespace?
>
> The user running initdb (or the postmaster) needs
> SeCreateGlobalPrivilege - which is something we cannot really start
> telling people they must have. My view is that we revert the change
> (well, replace it with something that looks less like a broken attempt
> to use the global namespace) and leave it at that. iirc, the use of
> the global namespace is there to ensure things work as they should
> under a non-console terminal services session - which is pretty rare
> and can usually be avoided.

Not quite. The reason it's in the global namespace is to provide an
interlock preventing the starting of a postmaster in two different
sessions at the same time against the same data directory. We need to
figure out exactly how much this interlock is reduced, and if there is
something else we can do to make it work on Vista+...

//Magnus