Re: Download links

От Chander Ganesan
Тема Re: Download links
Дата
Список pgsql-www
Dave Page wrote:
> The reason why they are ordered as they are is explained in more
> detail in a separate thread - but essentially it's because the people
> that need most help figuring out what they need to download are the
> ones that most benefit from one-click packages. Those that don't need
> the help, are also those that are more able to figure out what
> combination of RPMs/DEBs/Ports/whatever they need, and know that that
> type of package is what they want.

It's unfortunate that I only get to check my archive for this list
occasionally, otherwise I likely would have chimed in then.  I
understand that it might be too late to make such changes...  I'm just
wondering if that makes things more difficult for newer users in the
long term, who might be able to actually get upgrades to their DB
without having to go through a complex process (I'm not sure how the
one-clicks are upgraded, but I assume they cannot just do the package
manager type upgrade).  This probably won't be a real "issue" until some
kind of PostgreSQL DoS, Worm, or other attack emerges, where they find
themselves without a clean upgrade method (unless they learn more PG
stuff...).

Out of curiosity, do the one-click installers also have one-click
uninstallers?  That would be my other concern...

--
Chander Ganesan
Open Technology Group, Inc.