Re: slow update of index during insert/copy

От Thomas Finneid
Тема Re: slow update of index during insert/copy
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
What about filesystem properties?

on linux I am using:

    ext3(with journal) and  auto,rw,async,noatime,nodiratime

on disks for data and journal

I am unsure if I need a journal in the fs or if the db covers that
problem. With regards to that, do I then need to set some linux setting
to force inode syncing (dont rememver the name for the filesystem
structure in unix memory). The same question can be asked about the
async option.

any thoughts?

thomas

Greg Smith wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Sep 2008, Thomas Finneid wrote:
>
>>> You should try setting this to open_sync , that can be considerably
>>> faster for some write-heavy situations.  Make sure to test that
>>> throughly though, there are occasional reports of issues with that
>>> setting under Linux
>>
>> The production machine is Solaris 10 running on a Sun v980. Do you
>> know of it has any issues like these?
>
> On Solaris you can safely use open_datasync which is a bit better than
> open_sync.  For best results, you need to separate the xlog onto a
> separate partition and mount it using forcedirectio, because Postgres
> doesn't know how to use direct I/O directly on Solaris yet.
>
>> Additionally, would I need to do any config changes when going from
>> linux to solaris?
>
> Assuming the same amount of memory, the postgresql.conf should be
> basically the same, except for the wal_sync_method change mentioned
> above. If there's more RAM in the production server you can ramp up
> shared_buffers, effective_cache_size, and possibly work_mem
> proportionately.  The settings I suggested for maintenance_work_mem and
> wal_buffers are already near the useful upper limits for those parameters.
>
> There are a few operating system level things you should consider
> tweaking on Solaris 10 for better PostgreSQL performance.  You need to
> be a bit more careful about the parameters used for the filesystem than
> on Linux, and the settings there vary considerably depending on whether
> you're using UFS or ZFS.  The best intro to that I know of is at
> http://blogs.sun.com/jkshah/entry/postgresql_east_2008_talk_best ; I
> added some clarification to a few points in there and some other Solaris
> notes at http://notemagnet.blogspot.com/2008_04_01_archive.html  Those
> should get you started.
>
> I hope you're already looking into some sort of repeatable benchmarking
> that's representative of your application you can run.  You'll go crazy
> playing with all these settings without something like that.
>
> --
> * Greg Smith gsmith@gregsmith.com http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD

Сообщение: Re: limit clause breaks query planner?
Сообщение: Re: limit clause breaks query planner?