Re: Using PK value as a String

От Craig James
Тема Re: Using PK value as a String
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Valentin Bogdanov wrote:
> [...]

No, exactly the opposite.  Data about users (such as name, email address, etc.) are rarely a good choice as a foreign
key,and shouldn't be considered "keys" in most circumstances.  As Gregory points out, you're spreading the user's name
acrossthe database, effectively denormalizing it.

Instead, you should have a user record, with an arbitrary key, an integer or OID, that you use as the foreign key for
allother tables.  That way, when the username changes, only one table will be affected.  And it's much more efficient
touse an integer as the key than a long string.

Craig