Re: bytea encode performance issues

От Sim Zacks
Тема Re: bytea encode performance issues
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Merlin,

You are suggesting a fight with the flexible dynamics of email by
fitting it into a UTF shell - it doesn't always work.

I would suggest you read the postgresql definition of SQL-ASCII:
> The SQL_ASCII setting behaves considerably differently from the other settings. When the server character set is
SQL_ASCII,the server interprets byte values 0-127 according to the ASCII standard, while byte values 128-255 are taken
asuninterpreted characters. No encoding conversion will be done when the setting is SQL_ASCII. Thus, this setting is
notso much a declaration that a specific encoding is in use, as a declaration of ignorance about the encoding. In most
cases,if you are working with any non-ASCII data, it is unwise to use the SQL_ASCII setting, because PostgreSQL will be
unableto help you by converting or validating non-ASCII characters.

It says, In most cases it is unwise to use it if you are working with
non-ascii data. That is because most situations do not accept multiple
encodings. However, email is a special case where the user does not have
control of what is being sent. Therefore it is possible (and it happens
to us) that we get emails that are not convertible to UTF-8.

The only way I could convert from mysql, which does not check encoding
to postgresql utf-8 was to first use the SQL-ASCII database as a bridge,
because it did not check the encoding and load it into a bytea and then
take a backup of the database and restore it into a UTF-8 database.

Sim

От: Alvaro Herrera
Сообщение: Re: bytea encode performance issues
От: RASHA OSMAN
Сообщение: Response time between shared buffer cache and operating system