Re: php + postgresql

От Tino Wildenhain
Тема Re: php + postgresql
Дата
Re: php + postgresql  (admin <mick@mjhall.org>)
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

admin wrote:
>> Is there any special reason to use PHP? There are
>> a couple other scripting languages useable for the
>> web which do all have better abstration available.
>> (afaic even PHP does have some more abstration to
>>  just using pg* functions)
>
> Well, yes, there are alternatives of course and I could write this stuff
> in perl or python but it'd take me 10 times as long because my
> experience is elsewhere. Learning new stuff is always good, but at the
> end of the day I get paid for making stuff work on time and in budget
> ... mostly :-)
>
> I think that PHP (like PostgreSQL, perhaps?) suffers from a reputation
> hangover from years ago. PostgreSQL was supposedly "slow", PHP is
> supposedly "undisciplined" and "unprofessional". You sure can still

Well no PHP is conceptual undisciplined and confusing. I would
not compare this with Postgresql itself which is very professional
developed with a great vision. PHP is just and always was a hack.

> write spaghetti with PHP5 if you want to, but you can also write decent
> code with planning and standards. But good, bad or ugly, it's what I
> personally am most productive in.
>
> I have used PHP's PEAR DB abstraction class many times. It doen't really
> save much time or effort writing code, and has a performance overhead. I
> don't need to allow the possibility of switching to another database and
> stuff like that.

Sure, you must consider it yourself but having a little abstraction
helps even as kind of inherent documentation when you later need to
touch your code again.

Regards
Tino

Вложения