Re: A couple of newbie questions ...

От Shane Ambler
Тема Re: A couple of newbie questions ...
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Craig Ringer wrote:

> INSERT INTO table (fld_y,fld_z) VALUES ('y','z')
>
> which is really doing:
>
> INSERT INTO table (fld_x, fld_y,fld_z) VALUES (DEFAULT, 'y','z')

To be honest I hadn't seen the use of INSERT INTO table (fld_x,
fld_y,fld_z) VALUES (DEFAULT, 'y','z') before, I have always gone with
INSERT INTO table (fld_x, fld_y,fld_z) VALUES (NULL, 'y','z')

is DEFAULT a better option than using NULL? or is it just a preference
to spell out the implied default entry?

I've only used DEFAULT in CREATE TABLE(...)

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL (at) Sheeky (dot) Biz

Get Sheeky @ http://Sheeky.Biz