Re: [HACKERS] Setting pd_lower in GIN metapage

От Amit Langote
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Setting pd_lower in GIN metapage
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2017/06/26 10:54, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 11:17 AM, Amit Langote
> <Langote_Amit_f8@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
>> That was it, thanks for the pointer.
>
> GinInitMetabuffer() sets up pd_lower and pd_upper anyway using
> PageInit so the check of PageIsVerified is guaranteed to work in any
> case. Upgraded pages will still have their pd_lower set to the
> previous values, and new pages will have the optimization. So this
> patch is actually harmless for past pages, while newer ones are seen
> as more compressible.

Right.

>> Attached updated patch, which I confirmed, passes wal_consistency_check = gin.
>
> I have spent some time looking at this patch, playing with pg_upgrade
> to check the state of the page upgraded. And this looks good to me.

Thanks for the review.

> One thing that I noticed is that this optimization could as well
> happen for spgist meta pages. What do others think?

I agree.  As Sawada-san mentioned, brin metapage code can use a similar patch.

So attached are three patches for gin, brin, and sp-gist respectively.
Both brin and sp-gist cases didn't require any special consideration for
passing wal_consistency_checking, as the patch didn't cause brin and
sp-gist metapages to become invalid when recreated on standby (remember
that patch 0001 needed to be updated for that).

Thanks,
Amit