Re: Certification?

От Chander Ganesan
Тема Re: Certification?
Дата
Список pgsql-www
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-07-07 at 20:41 -0400, Chander Ganesan wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I've noticed that, as a trend, more and more training events are listed
>> that purport a "certification" in PostgreSQL .  In many ways, I find
>> this to be a bit misleading, in that no "industry recognized"
>> certification for PostgreSQL exists (except perhaps the SRA one in
>> Japan), and its quite possible that folks might mis-construe the use of
>> the word "certification" on the "postgresql.org" site as being a
>> "recognized" certification - or one that is sanctioned by the PostgreSQL
>> community.
>>
>> Perhaps it would be best left to companies to advertise their own
>> special "certification" on their web site (which they may easily link to
>> via their training course listing), as opposed to on the PostgreSQL.org
>> site, where it might be mis-interpreted to mean something that it isn't...
>>
>> thoughts?
>>

> Well if a training company wants to offer a certification for their
> training...?

Sure.  No problem...let them advertise it on the landing page for that
course...nothing to prevent them from doing that....  I'm just saying
that listing it on the event/training link gives the impression that its
an endorsed certification.
> Don't get me wrong, I know your trying to address quality of content
> issues here (as well as possible nefarious issues) but I think the
> market will bring to bear those who are successful and those that
> aren't.

Actually, I'm really not....  I am, more than anything else, trying to
bring to the attention of the community what I see as a somewhat
deceptive business practice...I'd hate to see all training companies
adopt such strategies to remain competitive (two already have...)
Believe it or not, prospects for training see great value in any course
that has the word "certification" next to it.
> There is a reason .Org has the big old disclaimer that says this is not
> an endorsement.

I don't think many people read that endorsement. Besides, it only speaks
towards the training itself, and not anything else...such as the cert.
People should know there isn't an industry recognized certification.
IMHO, it's not good for the community for them to think otherwise...

--
Chander Ganesan
Open Technology Group, Inc.

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

От: "Joshua D. Drake"
Сообщение: Re: Certification?
От: Peter Eisentraut
Сообщение: Re: Proposal to remove some mailing lists