Re: Postgres benchmark?

От David Siebert
Тема Re: Postgres benchmark?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Well that is the rub. I am currently using Postgres everyday. It runs
like a champ and even on an old PIII 600 MHZ machine with a single old
and slow IDE drive and 256 megs of ram it is fast enough for what we do.
This is more for me to do some testing with.
I think it would useful as a tunning tool if nothing else.
What I would like to try just for my own amusment is to build a small
test box. It will not be a server class machine. I am thinking of using
an AMD X2 and to start a SATA hard drive.
Then I would like to test different file systems, then different
operating systems, different amounts of ram, 32 vs 64 bit, and software
raids.
I would use the same machine for all the tests so it would have a good
base line.
I doubt that would ever publish my results. The flame war that would
happen would take all the fun out of it for me. I am sure that someone
would say that since I wasn't using a server machine that my results
where invalid, others would say that I made errors in tuning for the
different operating systems or that X would show benefits if I was using
a real server machine. And all of them may be right.
But sometimes you just want to play.