Re: Backup using GiT?

От Chander Ganesan
Тема Re: Backup using GiT?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
James B. Byrne wrote:
> I have recently had to teach myself how to use git and the thought came to me
> that this tool might provide a fairly low setup cost way of passing pg_dumps
> over the network to our off site data store.  Think Rsync, but on a file
> content basis; just the content diff gets transmitted.
>
> GiT works by compressing deltas of the contents of successive versions of file
> systems under repository control.  It treats binary objects as just another
> object under control.  The question is, are successive (compressed) dumps of
> an altered database sufficiently similar to make the deltas small enough to
> warrant this approach?
>
> Comments? (not my my sanity, please)

It probably depends on the number of changes in the database.  For
example, a vacuum followed by an insert could result in records that
were previously at the start of the dump being somewhere else -like the
middle of the dump (i.e., a dead tuple is marked as available, then the
space is "used" for an insert).  In such a case, you would end up with a
row that was unchanged, but in a different location in the file.  Would
GIT then back that up?  I would think so.  So in essence you'd be
getting "at least a diff, but likely more" .  Of course, I'm assuming
you are just dumping the data in a table using pg_dump....once you start
talking about a dumpall, you might find that smaller changes (i.e., give
a user a new privilege) causes stuff to be offset more....  Add
compression into the mix and I think you could find that there are
little/no similarities..

On the other hand, if you were only doing inserts into an optimized (no
dead tuples) table, I would think that you'd get a much better result.

Perhaps you would be better off using PITR in such cases?

--
Chander Ganesan
Open Technology Group, Inc.

От: "Henry - Zen Search SA"
Сообщение: Re: dblink() cursor error/issue (TopMemoryContext)
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Backup using GiT?