Re: Survey results from the PostgreSQL portal page

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Survey results from the PostgreSQL portal page
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> writes:
> Dave Page put up a new survey on the PostgreSQL portal page very
> recently, " What would attract the most new PostgreSQL users?" and the
> results in already are interesting (1,529 results as this is being written):
> [snip]
> Now, we don't necessarily have a speed problem, as people who take the
> time to tune the database can attest to, so this is making me consider
> why such a large percentage of folk would vote for that.

Interesting question.  Too bad the survey didn't ask *what* they find
slow.

> Other interesting conclusions can be drawn from the results too, one of
> which is that only about 2% of people are asking for more features, and
> also that only about 2% are looking for better marketing.

Of course, this is a survey of people who already know about Postgres,
and are sufficiently interested in using it to have visited the website.
So really, people who need to be marketed to weren't surveyed.  The low
vote for that point is probably just survey skew.