Re: Scalability question

От Zoltan Boszormenyi
Тема Re: Scalability question
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
tv@fuzzy.cz írta:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I got a question about scalability in high volume insert situation
>> where the table has a primary key and several non-unique indexes
>> on other columns of the table. How does PostgreSQL behave
>> in terms of scalability? The high volume of inserts comes from
>> multiple transactions.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Zoltán Böszörményi
>>

> Well, that's a difficult question as it depends on hardware and software,
> but with a proper tunning the results may be very good. Just do the basic
> PostgreSQL tuning and then tune it for the INSERT performance if needed.
> It's difficult to give any other recommendations without a more detailed
> knowledge of the problem, but consider these hints:
>
> 1) move the pg_xlog to a separate drive (so it's linear)
> 2) move the table with large amount of inserts to a separate tablespace
> 3) minimize the amount of indexes etc.
>
> The basic rule is that each index adds some overhead to the insert, but it
> depends on datatype, etc. Just prepare some data to import, and run the
> insert with and without the indexes and compare the time.
>
> Tomas

Thanks. The question is more about theoretical working.
E.g. if INSERTs add "similar" records with identical index records
(they are non-unique indexes) does it cause contention? Because
these similar records add index tuples that supposed to be near
to each other in the btree.

--
Zoltán Böszörményi