Re: pg_dump restore time and Foreign Keys

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: pg_dump restore time and Foreign Keys
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Simon Riggs wrote:
>> But we don't know it for dead sure, we only think we do. What if the
>> data for one or other of the tables is corrupted? We'll end up with data
>> we believe is consistent but in fact is not, ISTM. If you can somehow
>> guarantee the integrity of data in both tables then we might be
>> justified in assuming that the FK constraint will be consistent - that's
>> why I suggested some sort of checksum mechanism might serve the purpose.
>>

> Agreed.
>
> Can we get COPY to output the checksum of its output as part of the
> command tag? How else can we return the checksum? In $file.cksum for any
> given output file?

It seems a reasonable idea to use the command tag, unless that's going
to break lots of stuff. I think the only thing we can usefully checksum
is the output lines in the client encoding.

> We can then use an explicit checksum option in the COPY when we reload,
> with CHECKSUM option.

We need rather more than this to make sure your facility isn't abused.
That's the part that I haven't been able to think of a good answer for
(yet).

cheers

andrew