Re: "Big O" notation for postgres?

От H. Hall
Тема Re: "Big O" notation for postgres?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Gregory Stark wrote:
> "Richard Huxton" <dev@archonet.com> writes:
>

>> Jonah H. Harris wrote:

>>> I don't know of any document containing the complexity of each
>>> aggregate, but it's sometimes left as a comment in the souce code.
>>>
>> Recent max() and min() can be O(n) or O(1) depending on the where-clause and
>> presence of an index too, just to muddy the waters.

When I first read the above from Jonah I just assumed some Postgres
magic was producing O(1). After seeing this again, I believe that
Postgres must be doing something like the following for max and min:
Max:     ORDER BY colName  DESC LIMIT 1
Min:      ORDER BY coName ASC LIMIT 1

Thus Jonah's caveat about using an index. If postgres is using an index
as in the above then the Max and Min functions would both be O(log N) ,
this is  log base2 of N, which is the time it takes to search a balanced
binary tree, not O(1) which implies a constant time to perform,
regardless of the size of the dataset N.

> Hm, true. But excluding those special cases all Postgres aggregate functions
> will be O(n) unless they're doing something very odd. None of the built-in
> functions (except min/max as noted) do anything odd like that.
>
> The reason way is because of the basic design of Postgres aggregate functions.
> They are fed every tuple one by one and have to keep their state in a single
> variable. Most of the aggregate functions like count(*) etc just keep a static
> non-growing state and the state transition function is a simple arithmetic
> operation which is O(1). So the resulting operation is O(n).
>
> Actually one exception would be something like
>
> CREATE AGGREGATE array_agg(anyelement) (SFUNC = array_append, STYPE = anyarray, INITCOND='{}');
>
> Since the state variable has to keep accumulating more and more stuff the
> array_append becomes more and more expensive (it has to generate a new array
> so it has to copy the existing stuff). So actually it woul dbe O(n^2).
>
> The only builtin aggregate which looks like it falls in this category would be
> xmlagg()

Functions with O(N^2) scale very badly of course.

It would be very handy if the Planner could kick out Big O with its
estimates.  This would allow one to quickly tell how a query scales with
a large number of rows.

Thanks,
HH

--
H. Hall
ReedyRiver Group LLC

От: "Campbell, Lance"
Сообщение: Symbolic Links to Tablespaces
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Symbolic Links to Tablespaces