Index cleanup

От Clemens Schwaighofer
Тема Index cleanup
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

recently I went through some dev dbs just to clean up some unused
tables. What I found out afterwards is that even if you run a vacuum
full analyze it doesn't removed the index data.

So I was left with table size of a view bytes and gigabyte large indexes.

Of course a re-index cleaned that up.

My question now is, is this intended? Should vacuum full not clean out
the indexes if the table for this index is emptied or a lot of data is
removed.

Should that happen after some time? I doubt, because on one of my life
servers a test db had a size of 33MB overall, but an index size of 1.5GB ...

Whats the best way to handles this on a production system. I doubt its
wise to recreate indexes every month or so ...

--
[ Clemens Schwaighofer                      -----=====:::::~ ]
[ IT Engineer/Manager                                        ]