Re: insert order question

От Gauthier, Dave
Тема Re: insert order question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Ya, I'm sort of coming to that conclusion because of a different consideration.  I'm worried about whether or not the
triggerswill be fired immediately after each record inserted, or once ot the end, or something else.  Just too risky.
I'mgoing to go with the discrete insert statements in the order I desire.

Thanks

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Lane [mailto:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us]
Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2011 4:06 PM
To: Gauthier, Dave
Cc: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] insert order question

"Gauthier, Dave" <dave.gauthier@intel.com> writes:
> Does...
>                insert into mytbl (col1) values ('a'),('b'),('c');
> ... insert records 'a','b','c' in that order while...
>                insert into mytbl (col1) values ('c'),('b'),('a');
> ... insert the records in the opposite order?

I believe so, but it seems unwise to hard-wire a dependency on that into
your application, since this is only an implementation artifact and not
anything guaranteed by the standard.  If you need the inserts to occur
in a specific order, issue them as separate commands ... you're not
going to save all that much by having them be one command.