Re: recommended way of separating data from indexes

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: recommended way of separating data from indexes
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Anton Melser wrote:
> Hi,
> I looked for quite a while but must have been looking in the wrong place...
> I have a 6 disk (x146GB) system running Centos 5.1 - RAID 1 (2 disks)
> and RAID 1+0 (4 disks). This seemed to be the recommended way of doing
> it but I may have been looking in the wrong place. The system is
> replicated using log shipping, so we have the archive command
> activated.
> What are the recommendations for this kind of system?

That's going to depend on your disk activity, which will depend on usage
patterns.

 > The system is on
> the RAID 1 disk. My idea was to separate only the data onto the RAID
> 1+0 and leave the logs and archive and rest on the RAID 1. Is this the
> way to go? What is the recommended way of doing this? Just using
> symbolic links? Help!

Read the tablespaces chapter of the manuals.

If you've got a fair amount of writing then you'll want to make sure the
WAL can be written to as quickly as possibly. If you've got other write
activity occurring on your system disks (e.g. lots of system-log
activity, mailserver etc) then that's probably not the best place for
the WAL. On the other hand, database reads+writes will interfere if you
put everything on the RAID 10.

So - it will depend.

--
   Richard Huxton