Re: Patch to change psql default banner v6

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Patch to change psql default banner v6
Дата
Список pgsql-patches
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>
>>> If you type 'help' it just repeats the startup banner suggestion:
>>>
>>>     test=> help
>>>
>>>     You are using psql, the command-line interface to PostgreSQL.
>>>     Type \? for help.
>> I think we wanted to have more information in 'help', not less.  Making
>> it just repeat the startup info is not very helpful.
>
> I thought about that, but aren't we just repeating the top of \?.  Is
> that helpful?  Should we just display \?.

I am a little confused here. The whole point of this patch is to remove
all extraneous information from the startup banner and push it to a
"help" screen. Thus type help for help.

If you type help you get your help options.

> I know we decided not to do that, but I am trying to figure out what the
> goal if 'help' is?  To display the most frequently-used help commands?
> Aren't they at the top of \?.

The purpose of help is to provide what help options there are available
to those who need them.

Joshua D. Drake