Re: rounding problems

От Justin
Тема Re: rounding problems
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Andy Anderson wrote:
> Can you be more explicit about the rounding that's wrong in Excel? Are
> you talking about the ....n5 round-up to n+1 that Excel uses vs.
> ....n5 round-to-even n (sometimes called Banker's Rounding)?

Yes i'm talking about difference between bankers rounding verse Excels
crappy math.   I have dealt with excels crappy math skills in scientific
measurements dumped from AD cards, the simply solution was increase the
decimal range to 1 more than i needed.  But in this case it won't work
sense this published material will disagree with how postgresql rounds.

We take (List Price * discount Percent) * Number of Pieces = net
price.    List Prices is stored as numeric (16,4) discount is stored as
numeric(10,4)
the result is numeric (16,4).  On the UI its rounded to 2 and displays
correctly and agrees with my TI-89

The problem is the price book which is used to quotes is almost always
0.01 to 0.015 pennies higher.  Net result the invoices are almost always
lower than Quoted price.  (yet customers still through a fit.)