Re: configure option for XLOG_BLCKSZ

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: configure option for XLOG_BLCKSZ
Дата
Список pgsql-patches
Tom Lane wrote:
> "Mark Wong" <markwkm@gmail.com> writes:
>> I saw a that a patch was committed that exposed a configure switch for
>> BLCKSZ.  I was hoping that I could do that same for XLOG_BLCKSZ.
>
> Well, we certainly *could*, but what's the use-case really?  The case
> for varying BLCKSZ is marginal already, and I've seen none at all for
> varying XLOG_BLCKSZ.  Why do we need to make it easier than "edit
> pg_config_manual.h"?

The use case I could see is for performance testing but I would concur
that it doesn't take much to modify pg_config_manual.h. In thinking
about it, this might actually be a foot gun. You have a new pg guy,
download source and think to himself..., "Hey I have a 4k block size as
formatted on my hard disk". Then all of a sudden they have an
incompatible PostgreSQL with everything else.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake