Re: inheritance. more.

От Jeremy Harris
Тема Re: inheritance. more.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Gurjeet Singh wrote:
>  One of the advantages
> of breaking up your data into partitions, as professed by Simon (I think)
> (and I agree), is that you have smaller indexes, which improve performance.
> And maybe having one huge index managing the uniqueness across partitioned
> data just defeats the idea of data partitioning!

Isn't "large indexes are a performance problem" just saying
"we don't implement indexes very well"?   And why are they
a problem - surely a tree-structured index is giving you
range-partitioned subsets as you traverse it?  Why is this
different from manual partitioning into (inherited) tables?

Thanks,
     Jeremy