Re: large tables and simple "= constant" queries using indexes

Thanks a lot, all of you - this is excellent advice. With the data
clustered and statistics at a more reasonable value of 100, it now
reproducibly takes even less time - 20-57 ms per query.

After reading the section on "Statistics Used By the Planner" in the
manual, I was a little concerned that, while the statistics sped up the
queries that I tried immeasurably, that the most_common_vals array was
where the speedup was happening, and that the values which wouldn't fit
in this array wouldn't be sped up. Though I couldn't offhand find an
example where this occurred, the clustering approach seems intuitively
like a much more complete and scalable solution, at least for a
read-only table like this.

As to whether the entire index/table was getting into ram between my
statistics calls, I don't think this was the case. Here's the behavior
that I found:
- With statistics at 10, the query took 25 (or so) seconds no matter how
many times I tried different values. The query plan was the same as for
the 200 and 800 statistics below.
- Trying the same constant a second time gave an instantaneous result,
I'm guessing because of query/result caching.
- Immediately on increasing the statistics to 200, the query took a
reproducibly less amount of time. I tried about 10 different values
- Immediately on increasing the statistics to 800, the query
reproducibly took less than a second every time. I tried about 30
different values.
- Decreasing the statistics to 100 and running the cluster command
brought it to 57 ms per query.
- The Activity Monitor (OSX) lists the relevant postgres process as
taking a little less than 500 megs.
- I didn't try decreasing the statistics back to 10 before I ran the
cluster command, so I can't show the search times going up because of
that. But I tried killing the 500 meg process. The new process uses less
than 5 megs of ram, and still reproducibly returns a result in less than
60 ms. Again, this is with a statistics value of 100 and the data
clustered by gene_prediction_view_gene_ref_key.

And I'll consider the idea of using triggers with an ancillary table for
other purposes; seems like it could be a useful solution for something.