Re: Commit fest queue

От Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Тема Re: Commit fest queue
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>
>> The consensus last year  among a group of us who examined a number of
>> tracker systems was, IIRC,  that Bugzilla had the best combination of
>> features that people had  requested. (And it does have some email
>> interaction). Stefan  Kaltenbrunner did some work on putting up a test
>> instance and played  with integrating it with the Postgres bug system
>> - I forget how far  exactly he got.
>
> I tested Stefan's installation a bit.  The main conclusion I got from it
> was that the email interface was a late kludge.  Even if it were
> improved to remove the bugs, the fact remains that the emails themselves
> are not the main storage.

True - but that might not actually be a problem as long as we have a way
to correlate the comments there easily (and automatically) to the
threads and the individual mails - and yes the emailinterface might need
some work but well work will be required in one for or another anyway.

>> My understanding BTW is that debbugs is very specifically tailored to
>> Debian needs, and is not suitable as a general purpose tracker system.
>> And no other OSS project that we could find uses it. So, before we even
>> look at it again I at least would want concrete proof that these things
>> have changed. (Perhaps Alvaro has forgotten those discussions ;-) )
>
> I haven't forgotten them :-) but from my PoV, the only important
> argument against debbugs is that the code is not readily available.  The
> fact that it is tailored to Debian does not seem so much of a problem to
> me -- I'm sure we could easily lure it into doing our thing.

and keep maintaining it on our own forever ?

> IIRC Peter Eisentraut said he was going to talk to the guys in charge of
> debbugs at FOSDEM, or something like that.  I wonder if it materialized,
> and whether something came out of that?

fairly sure petere missed FOSDEM :-)

Stefan