Re: modules

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: modules
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Zeugswetter Andreas OSB SD wrote:
>>> The closest analogy to what I'm thinking is the perl CPAN
>>>
>> or ruby gems.
>>

> I think this is more a developer thing. I don't think an ISP would want
> all that automagic (and certainly does not do that for joe user).

I think you are missing an essential part of the vision. This is not
just targetted at developers. Binary distro authors typically include a
huge number of CPAN modules as well as core Perl, and ISPs typically
install them. We want to have something CPAN-like so we can get the same
effect.

At any rate, that's a bit blue sky right now. I haven't seen any
disagreement with our kissing "contrib" goodbye as a name, so let's work
on that. Unfortunately, that's going to involve a bit of pain, including
in the buildfarm, whose client relies on the name. I'll go to work on
fixing that, and we can get a new version out so when we make the switch
the buildfarm doesn't go dark.

cheers

andrew