Re: TODO Item: Consider allowing control of upper/lower case folding of unquoted, identifiers

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: TODO Item: Consider allowing control of upper/lower case folding of unquoted, identifiers
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Russell Smith wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Russell Smith <mr-russ@pws.com.au> writes:
>>
>>> As an attempt at a first PostgreSQL patch, I'd like to see if I can
>>> do anything about this issue.
>>>

>> Trying that as a first patch is a recipe for failure... the short answer
>> is that no one can think of a solution that will be generally
>> acceptable.
>>
>>             regards, tom lane
>>
> What makes this change particularly challenging?  The fact that nobody
> has agreed on how it should work, or the actual coding?

The widespread code impact of any change is a strong indicator against
doing this as a first patch. But newbie or not, as Tom says, nobody
should be starting to design, let alone cut code, until the actual
desired behaviour is agreed.

cheers

andrew