Re: Planning hot/live backups?

От: Matthew T. O'Connor
Тема: Re: Planning hot/live backups?
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

Planning hot/live backups?  ("Steve Poe", )
 Re: Planning hot/live backups?  ("Campbell, Lance", )
 Re: Planning hot/live backups?  ("Matthew T. O'Connor", )
  Re: Planning hot/live backups?  (paul rivers, )
  Re: Planning hot/live backups?  (Tom Lane, )
   Re: Planning hot/live backups?  ("Steve Poe", )
 Re: Planning hot/live backups?  ("Matthew T. O'Connor", )
  Re: Planning hot/live backups?  (Miguel Arroz, )

Steve Poe wrote:
> The owners of the animal hospital where I work at want to consider live/hot
> backups through out the day so we're less likely to lose a whole
> day of transaction.  We use Postgresql 8.0.15. We do 3AM
> backups, using pg_dumpall, to a file when there is very little activity.

You probably want to look into PITR, you can have a constant ongoing
backup of your data and never lose more than a few minutes of data.  The
overhead isn't all the big especially if you are shipping the log files
to a separate server.