Re: migration of 7.4 to 8.1

От Chris
Тема Re: migration of 7.4 to 8.1
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
david@lang.hm wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Mar 2008, sathiya psql wrote:
>
>> In the home page itself they were saying .... testing ... unstable....
>
> you are talking about the debian home page right?
>
>> then we should not use that for live.....
>>
>> so i prefer 8.1 .........
>
> Debian selected the version of Postgres for Etch about a year and a half
> ago. At that point selecting 8.1 was a resonable choice.
>
> Debian has a policy that they will never change the version number of a
> package in a stable release (they will backport many bugfixes, but not
> upgrade the version)
>
> As a result 2 years from now when Postgres is on 8.5 stable (and looking
> at 8.6), Debian Etch will still be on 8.1

I like that with debian I can install multiple postgres versions and it
handles everything for me :) Changing the default port, config files are
in different folders, different start up scripts.. all works very nicely :)

Which means you can have 8.1 installed and 8.3 installed at the same
time - both from packages, no compiling etc necessary - and can switch
between them very easily.

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/