Re: request feature: alter view add column (or something like)

От Tyler Erickson
Тема Re: request feature: alter view add column (or something like)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
I agree with Greg's suggested improvement, and would also like to see the ability to drop a column or change a
column'sdatatype.  Right now it is a pretty time consuming process to 'alter' a view (i.e. figure out the dependent
views,drop the dependent views, modify the base view, add back the dependent views) and leaves a lot of room for human
error.<br/><br /> The 'Alter View' command introduced in 8.3 seems to be a good start, and I hope it will be expanded
cite="mid:Pine.GSO.4.64.0803071022340.22456@westnet.com"type="cite"><pre><font><font face="Arial, Helvetica,
sans-serif">Sometimes,I have to add column to table, then adding the column to some view.

Currently it impossible to alter a view to add a new column, which is really
annoying. The only solution is to drop the view, and all dependented view,
then recreating everything.

Someone on #postgresqlfr said me there were discussion about that.

I think this would be a big improvement for pg 8.4.

My 2 cents.

href="mailto:gsmith@gregsmith.com">gsmith@gregsmith.com</a><a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
class="moz-signature"cols="72">--

Tyler A. Erickson, Ph.D.