Re: Querying the schema for column widths - what syntax do I use?

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: Querying the schema for column widths - what syntax do I use?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Howard Wilkinson wrote:
> I am working on some upgrades to the MyDNS open source product. I have
> some expertise in MySQL but am not overly familiar with PostgreSQL and
> need some guidance on how to query the schema for the maximum size of
> data a column can hold.

Unless you're after PG-specific stuff, it's probably best to use the
information-schema.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/information-schema.html

This has a standard layout cross-database, so will help you to extend
you app across other systems. I think it's supported in the latest
version of MySQL too.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd