Re: 7 hrs for a pg_restore?

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: 7 hrs for a pg_restore?
Дата
Re: 7 hrs for a pg_restore?
Список pgsql-performance
Douglas J Hunley wrote:
> I spent a whopping seven hours restoring a database late Fri nite for a
> client. We stopped the application, ran pg_dump -v -Ft -b -o $db >
> ~/pre_8.3.tar on the 8.2.x db, and then upgrading the software to 8.3. I then
> did a pg_restore -v -d $db ./pre_8.3.tar and watched it positively crawl.
> I'll grant you that it's a 5.1G tar file, but 7 hours seems excessive.

Depends, both on the machine and the database.

What sort of disk i/o are you seeing, what's the cpu(s) doing, and
what's the restore taking so long over (since you have -v)?

Oh, and have you tweaked the configuration settings for the restore?
Lots of work_mem, turn fsync off, that sort of thing.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd