Re: FUNCTIONs and CASTs

От Dean Gibson (DB Administrator)
Тема Re: FUNCTIONs and CASTs
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
On 2008-02-15 14:32, Tom Lane wrote: <blockquote cite="mid:655.1203114745@sss.pgh.pa.us" type="cite"><pre
wrap="">"DeanGibson (DB Administrator)" <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
wrap="">Again,you are not understanding my point.  My point was that specifying

tablename.columnname%TYPE notation doesn't help with the performance
problem;  I have to explicitly cast the parameter in the body of the
The reason for the lack of communication is that no one else believes
that premise.  Casting a value to the same type it already has is
demonstrably a no-op. </pre></blockquote> Casing a TEXT item to a CHAR( 9 ) item isn't a no-op.  I've seen this before
in"EXPLAIN ..." output, where a search on an indexed column will be sequential because the planner treats the search
valueas TEXT rather than CHAR( 9 ).<br /><br /> Are you saying that no one believes there is a performance difference?
Amazing...<br /><br /> Tom, I've privately eMailed you access instructions to one of my DB servers, so you can see for

Mail to my list address MUST be sent via the mailing list.
All other mail to my list address will bounce.</pre>