Re: Approaches for Lookup values (codes) in OLTP application

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: Approaches for Lookup values (codes) in OLTP application
Дата
Список pgsql-general
James B. Byrne wrote:
> I am considering how best to handle the issue of attribute encoding for an
> OLTP application conversion.
[snip]
> The conversion project framework is Ruby on Rails which embeds the practice of
> arbitrary integer primary keys assigned by sequencers rather than so-called
> "natural" keys or predicates that define the unique portion of the table-row.

I'm not a Rails guy, but everything I've read about it suggests if
you're going to gain any advantage from it, then you should follow its
way of doing things. That means not converting anything, but rather
writing a rails app that does the same as your current app (if I'm
making myself clear).

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd