Re: Can we have 2 databases on same server

От Chander Ganesan
Тема Re: Can we have 2 databases on same server
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello Suresh,

Suresh Gupta VG wrote:

Hi Team,

I have Solaris 9 machine with Pgsql 7.4 and want to upgrade to 8.2.5. I don’t want to disturb the first version now. I want to install second one separately and need to test with my application. If it works fine, I will activate only the latest one and other version 7.4 will be discarded. This is my idea.

1)       Can I please know, if we can run 2 databases on the same server with out any conflicts?

It looks like you already got the answer on this one.. however, your terminology is a bit off.  Unlike Oracle (where we think in terms of "databases"), in PostgreSQL we think in terms of "clusters", where a cluster (often used interchangeably with the word "server") is a collection of databases.  A cluster listens on a single port, has a single "data" directory, and manages a single list of roles (accounts and groups) that span all of the databases that are managed by the cluster.

Hope that helps.  When you read the documentation you will see references to "Clusters", not databases...
--
Chander Ganesan
Open Technology Group, Inc.