Re: BUG #12834: Avoiding Disk Control Writes for better Laptop / SSD compatibility. pgstats

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: BUG #12834: Avoiding Disk Control Writes for better Laptop / SSD compatibility. pgstats
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2@obviously.com> wrote:

> Autovac was the droid I was looking for. On orders of the Empire,
> that droid has been eliminated on twenty five laptops.

What, exactly, did you do to "eliminate" that?  If you do not have
a sufficiently aggressive vacuum regimen you will have far worse
problems somewhere down the road.  You can probably tune autovacuum
to minimize the problems you described.  You could also supplement
autovacuum with scheduled VACUUM commands (or possibly even replace
autovacuum with such commands if you are *very* careful).  Just
turning off autovacuum is roughly the equivalent of trying to keep
vehicles on the road for more time by skipping all oil changes and
other maintenance.  It will appear to work really well for some
amount of time.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com