Re: SHM_HUGETLB on Linux 2.6.

От Kohei KaiGai
Тема Re: SHM_HUGETLB on Linux 2.6.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Has anyone tried to use the huge tlb support of the Linux 2.6 kernel?
> If you compile the kernel with support for it (CONFIG_HUGETLBFS), you
> can call shmget() with a SHM_HUGETLB parameter so that it will use
> larger pages.
>
> Has anyone tried to use it?  Is it worth trying to set it up?

I tried to apply HugeTlb on shared memory segment, but it does not
provide us statistically-meaningful difference on PostgreSQL.

pgbench gave us the following result, with shared_buffer_size=160mb
and Core2Duo E6400, total system memory=512MB.
Unfortunatelly, any other detailed parameters were lost.
     Transaction per sec       Average        STD   -----------------------------------------------     pgsql-8.2.5
(normal) :  656.6118    17.5006     pgsql-8.2.5 (hugetlb) :  655.3389    20.2623

A similar topic was also posted at Mar 2007.  http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-03/msg00232.php

Regard,
--
OSS Platform Development Division, NEC