Re: pg_dumpall

От Steve Clark
Тема Re: pg_dumpall
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Erik Jones wrote:
> On Jan 17, 2008, at 1:08 PM, Greg Smith wrote:
>

>>On Thu, 17 Jan 2008, Tom Lane wrote:
>>

>>>There isn't any good way to guarantee time coherence of dumps
>>>across two databases.
>>
>>Whether there's a good way depends on what you're already doing.
>>If you're going to the trouble of making a backup using PITR
>>anyway, it's not hard to stop applying new logs to that replica and
>>dump from it to get a point in time backup across all the
>>databases.  That's kind of painful now because you have to start
>>the server to run pg_dumpall, so resuming recovery is difficult,
>>but you can play filesystem tricks to make that easier.
>

> Actually, this exact scenario brings up a question I was thinking of
> last night.  If you stop a PITR standby server and bring it up to
> dump from, will all of the database file have something written to
> them at some point during the dump?  Transactional information is
> what I'd assume would be written, if so, but I'm not really sure of
> the low level details there.
>
> Erik Jones
>
> DBA | Emma®
> erik@myemma.com
> 800.595.4401 or 615.292.5888
> 615.292.0777 (fax)
>
> Emma helps organizations everywhere communicate & market in style.
> Visit us online at http://www.myemma.com

Thanks for everyone that replied to my query about pg_dumpall.

Now another question/issue - anytime I usr createdb the resulting db
ends up
with UTF-8 encoding unless I use the -E switch. Is there a way to make
the
default be sql_ascii? postgres version is 8.2.5

Thanks again
Steve

От: Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
Сообщение: Re: case dumbiness in return from functions
От: "Gregory Williamson"
Сообщение: Re: case dumbiness in return from functions