Re: Linux/PostgreSQL scalability issue - problem with 8 cores

От Jakub Ouhrabka
Тема Re: Linux/PostgreSQL scalability issue - problem with 8 cores
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
 > Okay, for a table of just a few entries I agree that DELETE is
 > probably better.  But don't forget you're going to need to have those
 > tables vacuumed fairly regularly now, else they'll start to bloat.

I think we'll go with DELETE also for another reason:

Just after we figured out the cause of the spikes we started to
investigate a long-term issue we had with PostgreSQL: pg_dump of big
database was blocking some of our applications. And yes, we replaced
TRUNCATE with DELETE and everything is running as expected.

Looking at the docs now I see there is a new paragraph in 8.3 docs
mentioning that TRUNCATE is not MVCC-safe and also the blocking issue.
It's a pity that the warning wasn't there in 7.1 times :-)

Thanks,

Kuba