Re: Postgres installation on Leopard; database on Mac-User-Level

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: Postgres installation on Leopard; database on Mac-User-Level
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Stefan Schwarzer wrote:
>> There's no reason why you *have* to run the server as user postgres
>> though. It's perfectly possible to do the above as user schwarzer. If
>> the database system is intended just for that one user, that might
>> make sense too.
>>
>> Oh, make sure the logfile is in a directory writable by the same user
>> too of course.
>
> You guys are too kind. Really. A big THANK YOU for everybody helping me
> (and others) to get things working! You really do a fantastic job!

People helped us when we started here. Hopefully you'll feel the same :-)

> So, when you say that there is no reason to be obliged to run the server
> as user postgres, but that I can run it as user schwarzer: then I can
> skip the chown/chmod steps you mentioned? I just go for the initdb etc.
> commands as listed above, without specifying a(nother) user?

Exactly.

You might have to chmod 0700 on the data directory though, PG might well
complain if other users have access.

Oh, and be careful if you are running as yourself - that means you can
delete/mangle the data files from the browser etc.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd