Re: Postgresql Materialized views

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Postgresql Materialized views
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Sean Utt wrote:
>>
>> As Joshua Drake has pointed out before, most of the core people
>> working on PostgreSQL don't actually use it for anything themselves. I
>> will expand a little on that and say that this means that while they
>> are extremely good at what they do, they really don't have a clue what
>> might be useful to someone "in the wild". Sort of like automotive
>> engineers who in the 1970's made the Cadillac's engine so large that
>> you couldn't change the spark plugs without taking the motor mounts
>> loose and lifting the engine.
>>

> This is both gratuitously offensive and based on a demonstrably false
> premise. The definition of "core people working on PostgreSQL" is
> somewhat vague. But if you were to take it as, say, the group of active
> committers, then I would say that the majority of us earn our living in
> whole or in part using PostgreSQL. Certainly I do (there's a reason I
> use an elephant logo for my business).

The consideration of my comment (which I believe was made some time ago)
was not about -hacking which as I understand it is what you and most
everyone else on -hackers does. My comment was a consideration to the
amount of "core" that are managing postgresql in a production
environment. E.g; being DBAs. I would argue that very few committers
actually qualify as that either. Feel free to prove me wrong :)

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake