Re: flex/bison output wrongly created in the source directory

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: flex/bison output wrongly created in the source directory
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Gregory Stark wrote:
> "Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>

>> Also, since they are (or should be) architecture-independent, what's the
>> point?  Out-of-tree builds are intended to support building for multiple
>> architectures in parallel; but there's no reason to force independent
>> reconstructions of these common derived files.
>>

> That's not the only reason for out-of-tree builds. Packagers often find it
> easier to build out-of-tree since it means they can generate a clean diff
> against the original source.

Right. We actually have to take some special steps in the buildfarm
client script to clean up files generated in the tree by vpath builds so
we have a clean repo on the next run.

But arguably packagers should be building from tarballs anyway rather
than from CVS, in which case the build shouldn't put anything in the
source tree.

cheers

andrew