Re: [HACKERS] [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add psql variables showing server version and psql version.

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add psql variables showing server version and psql version.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 12:16 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Hm.  I think it would be a fine idea to push this change into v10,
>> so that all psql versions that have \if would have these variables.
>> However, I'm less enthused about adding them to the 9.x branches.
>> Given the lack of \if, I'm not seeing a use-case that would justify
>> taking any compatibility risk for.
>>
>> Opinions anyone?

> As I see it, the risks of back-patching are:

> 1. Different minor versions will have different behavior, and that
> tends to create more problems than it solves.

Yeah.  Whatever use-case you think might exist for these variables in,
say, 9.6 is greatly weakened by the fact that releases through 9.6.5
don't have them.

However, since v10 is still in beta I don't think that argument
applies to it.