Re: Question: Multiple pg clusters on one server can be reached with the standard port.

От Ron
Тема Re: Question: Multiple pg clusters on one server can be reached with the standard port.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 6/19/23 12:15, Peter J. Holzer wrote:
On 2023-06-19 07:49:49 -0500, Ron wrote:
On 6/19/23 05:33, Peter J. Holzer wrote:
As Francisco already pointed out, this can't work with nginx either. The
client resolves the alias and the TCP packets only contain the IP
address, not the alias which was used to get that address. So nginx
simply doesn't have that information and therefore can't act on it.
[...]
So (again, as Francisco already wrote) the best way is probably to write
a simple proxy which uses the database (not DNS) name for routing. I
seem to remember that nginx has a plugin architecture for protocols so
it might make sense to write that as an nginx plugin instead of a
standalone server, but that's really a judgement call the programmer has
to make. Another possibility would of course be to extend pgbouncer to
do what the OP needs.
How would this work with JDBC clients?
Same as with any other client, I guess. Any reason why it should be
different?

That goes to my ultimate point: why would this work, when the point of a database client is to connect to a database instance on a specific port like 5432, not connect to a web server.

Obviously it does/should work, but I wouldn't know where to look to lean why.

--
Born in Arizona, moved to Babylonia.