Re: Additional startup logging

От Michael Glaesemann
Тема Re: Additional startup logging
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Jun 30, 2010, at 22:43 , Takahiro Itagaki wrote:

> "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:
>
>> It seems potentially useful to LOG the version() string in the log
>> file during startup.  It might also help to LOG any settings which
>> might result in the loss of committed transactions or in database
>> corruption during startup.  (After a crash, the postgresql.conf file
>> might not show the values which were in effect during startup, and
>> it is too late to "show" the values.)
>
> I think such logs depends on purposes, so they should be customizable.
>
> You could write a module, that is registered in 'shared_preload_libraries'
> and logs internal information you want from _PG_init() or shmem_startup_hook.

For long-running systems, you may not have the beginning of the log file. Perhaps a method of dumping the version
and/orsetting information on demand (or perhaps at the beginning of each log file?): Shouldn't be too hard to put
togethera function which prints out such information via RAISE even now using PL/pgSQL.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net