Re: Highly Efficient Custom Sorting

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Highly Efficient Custom Sorting
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Craig Ringer <craig@postnewspapers.com.au> writes:
> On 02/07/10 08:46, Eliot Gable wrote:
>> So, the bottom line is, I need a faster way to do this sorting.

> You haven't showed us how you're doing it at the moment, so it's awfully
> hard to comment usefully on possible approaches.

I'm guessing from tea leaves, but the impression I got from Eliot's
description is that he's using plpgsql functions as sort comparators.
It's not surprising that that sucks performance-wise compared to having
the equivalent logic in C/C++ functions used as comparators on the
client side.  plpgsql is no speed demon.  Best fix might be to code the
comparators as C functions on the server side.