Serial data type

От Christian Rengstl
Тема Serial data type
Дата
Re: Serial data type  (Christian Schröder <cs@deriva.de>)
Re: Serial data type  ("Albe Laurenz" <laurenz.albe@wien.gv.at>)
Список pgsql-jdbc
Hi everyone,

in my Java app at certain points INSERT queries are built dynamically,
but now i am facing a problem when the target table contains a SERIAL
field where NULL values are not allowed. Therefore I have two questions:

1) How can I find out if there is a serial field in a table, as
getColumnType() in ResultSetMetaData does not return a field indicating
SERIAL as far as I could see?
2) Why does it not work to issue a query like INSERT INTO
x(serial_field) VALUES(NULL) as the default of the "serial_field" is
nextval() anyway?

Thanks!

Christian Rengstl M.A.
Klinik und Poliklinik für Innere Medizin II
Kardiologie - Forschung
Universitätsklinikum Regensburg
B3 1.388
Franz-Josef-Strauss-Allee 11