Re: [HACKERS] char_length()?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] char_length()?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> char_length()/octet_length() for char() datatype returns a character
> length *except* the trailing blanks. Is this what the standard
> expects? Oracle's length() returns 3 in the case below.

AFAICT Oracle is right --- the spec just says
             i) If the data type of S is a character data type, then the                result is the number of
charactersin the value of S.

and I can't see anything there about stripping pad characters.  You
could ask for length(trim(S)) if you don't want to count blanks.